Model. Natalia Vodianova
The other day, I passed by my local market. I was planning to get the usual groceries. Bread, peanut butter…I think you know where I’m going with this. Then out of nowhere I noticed the most vibrant, luscious yellow tomatoes. Sometimes, I buy food off the whim, which isn’t necessarily the best option but I told myself, “I have to do something special with these.”
Now, I want you to set your mind off to a far away place. This place is Turkey. See yourself in crowd of people. You happen to find yourself in an alleyway market place that is filled to the brim with beautiful, majestic colors and spices. You set yourself down at a nearby table and are served something delicious…
Toasted Yellow Tomato Bruschetta
Inspired by Turkey
2 pieces of crusty bread
1 yellow tomato
2 tsp. of oregano
1/2 tsp. of thyme
spreadable goat cheese
a small fist full of crushed spinach
olive oil to drizzle
spritz of lemon juice and zest
sea salt and pepper to taste
mortar and pestle
- Preheat oven to 420 F.
- While the oven is preheating prepare the crushed spinach.
- In a mortar and pestle crush the spinach with a spritz of lemon juice. Crush the spinach until it resembles a type of vibrant green paste. Set the paste aside.
- Make a small bowl or simply fold the aluminum foil over on the sides, creating a small square shape, enough to fit the bread and yellow tomato. Drizzle some oil over both the bread and tomato. Sprinkle the tomato with pepper and sea salt. Then sprinkle some oregano and thyme over the bread.
- Carefully place the aluminum bowl that you created into the oven and let it bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the bread and tomato are done baking, carefully chop the tomato(It will most likely be hot and messy.)
- Spread the spinach paste on the bread along with some spreadable goat cheese. Top it off with the toasted tomato, lemon zest, oregano and a drizzle of olive oil.
Enjoy and happy eating!
Photo by. Bernadette Mira